Postcrossing - Incoming

To December 11, 2012

I have another interesting group of cards for you today.  I have 5 regular postcrossing cards, and one card that is quite special.  Remember, for a better look at the cards, just click on them to enlarge them.

Let's get on with it!


My first card isn't a Postcrossing card! It comes from a member of AFWJ, my  group for women who are married to Japanese men.  A few weeks ago I had written about Gotochi cards in our Journal, and one member was nice enough to send me a card out of the blue.  It really was a lovely surprise!
Kagoshima
The sender writes that this is Sakurajima Volcano. She says that it spews out a fair amount of ash, and even though she hates winter and the cold north wind-she's grateful for it because it blows the ash away!

My first Gotochi card from Kagoshima!  Thank you so much!

This next card comes all the way from China.  Cody wrote a little bit in hiragana for me and said that he is majoring in Japanese at University.  He apologised for not having any black and white postcards of famous people, but sent this card instead.  I like it very much!
In my thank you note to him I said that this card reminded me a little of some of William Morris's works, so I liked it.


This simple looking sketch is actually the first page of what became a very famous book.  This is the first page of the original Peter Rabbit picture letter from Beatrix Potter.  Serena said that she is delighted to have found a good home for this card.  She loves Beatrix Potter's books and pictures.  She notes that they managed not to be over-sentimental.
The first page of the original Peter Rabbit picture letter from Beatrix Potter to Noel Moore, 1893.
The letter tells the story that would later become famous around the world.
 I think this is a very interesting card, and with my love of children's lit, a good choice for me!

And there's more!  Serena also used a great stamp on this card.  Have a look!
Mrs. Gamp from Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens
Sadly, I haven't read this novel, but I do love this stamp!  Obviously, this card and stamp are from Britain, southern England to be more precise. 


Minna in Finland chose this card for me.  She said that as she collects movie cards too, it was an easy task.  

She listed a few of her favourite films, ones that she could watch over and over again.  She named My Neighbour Totoro, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, all of Tarantino's films, Kieslowski's Red, Blue White, Wall-E etc.  I love Totoro, Wall-E and Tarantino's films.  Sadly, I haven't seen the David Lynch ones, nor the Kieslowski's films.  
Robert De Niro - in "Goodfellas" B&W
 Minna also used a gorgeous stamp.  Have a look at it!
Green Apples and Champagne Glass
Helene Schjerfbeck

It is 150 years from the birth of Helene Schjerfbeck, a Finnish painter.  Isn't it lovely?

The next card comes from the Netherlands. It shows the city hospital in Purmerend.  It was sent by Betsie who says that her hobby is walking in nature.  
Purmerend City Hospital

She used some very cute Christmas stamps too, for which I am grateful.  Thank you so much!



Lori sent this card from the US.  She managed to combine two of my favourite things-books and food with this cookbook cover card.  I've been known to just read cookbooks!  She didn't write a lot on the back, so I can't tell you much about her.

She did use some interesting stamps too.  Because of placement of the stamps I had to leave one off, but the ones in this picture are really interesting.


I think I'm a little in love with the Edgar Rice Burroughs stamp!  I was a huge fan of Tarzan in my younger days.  I like the William H. Johnson stamp too, although reading about his life was sad.


That's it for this time.  The cards are slowing a little as Christmas gets closer.  Many Postcrossers slow a little during the season. I certainly have as I have so many other things to do.  Next time I hope to bring you a few more interesting cards from all over the world.  It depends what arrives in my mailbox !

Until next time...

  


6 comments:

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

That Peter Rabbit one is really something special!

Helen said...

I like it very much!

Kelly said...

I think my favourite is the Kagoshima card. It's so cool!

I have so far had 3 of my 5 sent cards received. I just hope the other 2 haven't got lost in the post. I'm now waiting on receiving a postcard..I hope some time soon! :)

Thanks for sharing again!

Helen said...

Getting your first card is so exciting and it does seem to take forever.

I was lucky and my first card is still one of my favourites...a Japanese singer born in China who became a Jazz singer in the US. I hadn't even heard of her, but it was a black and white card and just cool!

If I was you, I'd be sending more cards! At the beginning when you can only send 5 at a time it seems very slow...now I often receive 5 or so a week. Postcrossing can be expensive, but it is fun too.

I'm waiting to hear where your first card received is from! Hope you get it soon. Good luck :-)

Kelly said...

I received my first postcard today! From Finland. You can see the image here if you are interested. Hope you don't mind that I linked to your blog :)

http://perthrainbowmum.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/postcrossing.html

Helen said...

No problem re the link. And congratulations!