Gotochi Postcards

Very popular items from Japan on Postcrossing are the Gotochi postcards. Each prefecture has a few cards that feature something or someone important from their prefecture. The cards are shaped quite interestingly as well. I only have a few, but thought I'd post them for your viewing pleasure.

For overseas readers, I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in swapping with you. For readers in Japan....you can ask!

Here's a few pictures of the ones I have. If you'd like to see more, any web browser will bring them up.

The Fukushima postcard has Doctor Hideo Noguchi on it. I can't remember the other one. Readers?
Niigata's cards have soba and the toki (Crested Ibis) on them.
Kanagawa's cards have the Kabuki theatre, Sanuki udon, and Olives. I bought these in March at my AFWJ convention.
The only Yamagata one I have so far is the newest, the snow monsters. Under those columns are trees. They get covered by snow in winter.

I hope to get a few more cards as I do more travelling in Japan. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! At least now I know what they look like! I would have never known what they were! I appreciate your posts about Postcrossings!

Helen said...

You are very welcome. I couldn't get great shots of them though, but they give you the idea. Very cool postcards I think!

Perogyo said...

I've never seen this type before, but I will look around my area for some!

Helen said...

I think they just sell them at the post office. Some places are more popular than others, so they get sold out quickly. Let me know if you'd be interested in swapping some Perogyo!

Unknown said...

If you would like to swap one from your prefecture for an Okinawa one feel free to contact me.

Helen said...

Thanks Ginger. At the moment I have all of the Okinawa ones as I did a private swap for them. However, next year, when they bring the new one out, I might be interested!