June 26, 2011

Sunday - Rainy and cool.

A really nice day. F and I stayed up unbelievably late last night…it was getting light when I went to bed. I went to bed just before him as well. He was up before me though.

I finally rolled out of bed for keeps around 12 and did computer stuff for a while. After that, we went out for lunch. F picked the place, a soba shop. One that he goes to every week for his lunch hour as it is near his office. (Wouldn’t you think he’d want something a bit different?)

We had lunch and it was okay. I had soba with tempura, F had chukamen, cold noodles. Mine was okay, his wasn’t great. During lunch I had a bit of an epiphany about why I dislike Japanese noodles so much. For F, the noodles are the point. He likes them and can tell the difference between soba, ramen, udon and whatever. For me, the sauce is the point. Noodles are just a way of getting the sauce to my mouth! I don’t like Japanese noodle sauce, ergo I am bored with Japanese noodles. Hmm. That’s my story for today, and I’m sticking to it until I think of a better one!

After lunch we went to karaoke for the first time in ages. We got a few snacks before we went, and then sang for a few hours. I did a lot of new songs, or for the first time songs as they were finally available. I got to do “Cover of the Rolling Stone”, "Pilot of the Airwaves", and a bunch of other songs. It was fun!

When we got to the point that we couldn’t sing anymore, we left karaoke and went for dinner. I got to pick the restaurant this time and I chose a tonkatsu place. We had a nice dinner there and then came home.

We watched most of I, Robot, I did a little crochet and a lot of computer stuff, and then turned off the TV for a while. F finally went to bed and I watched Veronica Mars. Hopefully I’ll go to bed soon. I’m a bit tired and I have a few things to do tomorrow.

Anyway, that was my day. It turned out quite well. Talk to you tomorrow? Night.

4 comments:

The Purple Room said...

Wow Helen, there must be something in the air--perhaps it's the rain--but we also went to karaoke this past weekend. We haven't been in at least 2 years.
Also, the noodles bit struck a chord with me as well. Udon, soba, somen bore me to death. Udon seems like something only people with an illness should eat.
I like ramen though, especially if the broth is nice and thick (but I usually suffer a stomach ache and regret it later).

Helen said...

We go to karaoke about once a month or so, but haven't gone for a while. It's a good release for stress.

And, I'm glad that my noodle theory isn't way out there! My husband didn't really buy it, but that's his problem!

Sherry said...

I agree. The noodles are boring. It's the sauce that I like, but I quickly get my fill of it. I seriously can eat noodles once in a year and that is enough. I am kind of the same way about pasta, but the sauce is so much more interesting and better.

Helen said...

I'm glad you agree with me too Sherry, as an ex-low carber I try to keep my noodles to a minimum and I just don't like Japanese noodles enough to want them---almost ever!

Thanks for visiting.