August 21, 2009 - Friday

Rainy in the morning, clearing at night. Humid day.

Today was okay. I did manage to get to bed a little bit earlier than the night before. I also did a bit of reading before I went to bed. That was really nice.

This morning I got up, showered and then did laundry. I also experimented with making drinks. I'd read a recipe for a low carb smoothie. It had cottage cheese in it. I don't know if it wasn't smooth enough or if the Japanese cottage cheese wasn't right, but it wasn't that good. The smoothie wasn't smooth enough for me, and the flavour was lacking. My next attempt a couple of hours later was much better. I made my version of Agua Fresca. I got the idea from Mark Bittman's column at the NY Times. I would link to it, but you have to register (supposedly free to do so). I didn't have to register this morning, so I'm not doing it! Anyway, I blended some frozen strawberries, some water and some ice in my blender, until it was nicely mixed and the ice wasn't in cubes anymore. Then I added some club soda, poured it in my glass and enjoyed. Yum. I think you can do it with many kinds of fruit. The original article mentioned melon...the comments are still available, go check 'em out!

I went off to the school a bit late and decided that I didn't need to get myself anything from the drugstore today, so I just went to the school. I cooled the school down when I arrived and then prepped for my first lesson tomorrow. My lesson for today was already done.

My student came, we had an okay but not great class, and then he left. After that, I got busy. We were doing an interview tonight. The lady came, and it looks like I'll have a new student from next month. I'm quite happy about it.

F and I took a bit of time to relax. I cleaned up after the interview and also had a discussion about some of my students.

We had a simple and inexpensive dinner at New York, New York and then came home. I made us more of the strawberry drink. It was good, but I didn't use enough ice tonight. It is noisy to run the blender though and as it was 11:30 I really didn't want to antagonize the neighbours!

F has been watching some World Athletic thing. I could care more about it, but he's enjoying it. I might try reading a bit tonight or I might just go to bed. I should go to bed really.

Oh, I finished Stephenie Meyer's New Moon today. (May be SPOILERS ahead if you haven't read it.) My reaction is still, "What is all the fuss about?" I liked parts of the novel, I like the character of Jacob and when Bella was palling around with him, liked her too. BUT then, you know who shows up again and it's back to boring. I think I'm just too old. I don't (and never have) believe that there is only one person for everyone. I don't believe in soul mates so the idea that Bella, a 17 year old, can only truly be happy with a 100+ year old vampire is just irritating. Yep, I'm definitely a crochety old lady!

Anyway, that's it for me. Night!

No comments: