August 21, 2008 - Thursday

Rainy all day.

Today was a good day. It was cool, bordering on cold today. We barely saw the sun all day! I got up in the morning, checked the telly and went back to bed to just enjoy the coolness. I know that sounds weird, but I really enjoyed it.

I had a quiet morning, and around 1:45 left the apartment to go to my hairdresser. I got there in good time and she was able to take me right away. I got my hair cut quite short again. I didn't get my hair shampooed, and I didn't let her put any treatments on my hair. We had a nice chat while she was doing my hair. She asked me if I watched the Olympics. I said I did, so she asked me if I supported Japan or Canada. A little sheepishly I admitted that I support Canada, but, if there's no Canadian then I support Japan. It is basically true!

After getting my hair cut, I went to S-mall. I poked around the 100 yen shop for a while, got some stuff for my trip and for my school too. I was going to have a coffee in Doutors, but they looked busy so I changed my mind and decided to just go home.

At home I relaxed for a while then around 5 pm headed out again. I went to the grocery store on my way and then headed to my school. Just about 3 blocks away from it, my hood blew off just as it started to rain torrentially. Sigh. I got wet. For some reason, one of my feet even got wet. Basically I was wet from mid-thigh down. And, my hair was soaked. Sigh.

I spent some time getting dry and dealing with my wet clothes, then took a break and ate the food I'd bought. After a bit, I got ready for my students.

Both classes went quite well tonight. Surprisingly, the younger of my first two students did really well. Usually I have to keep prodding her, but she was great today. In my second class we had a conversation about Chinese medicine. It was very interesting for both of us. My student left a little late, a bit after 9.

Fumihiko called me at 9:20 tonight. He'd just finished work. I felt really sorry for him, but I wasn't ready yet. I told him I'd call him later and then went back to work. About 25 minutes later I called him. I was done, but needed him to bring me some shoes. My clothes were basically dry, I had spare socks at the school, but no spare shoes. He showed up at my school a few minutes later. He came in the apartment, but didn't have any shoes with him. He asked me to wait a little and he'd go back to our apartment and get them. He went back, took out my bike, got my shoes, and then came back to my school. He came up to the door, knocked and when I gave him a strange look, went back out to the car for my sandals! Poor guy.

We couldn't go to our first choice for dinner tonight, so we went to Grado, the restaurant that's near our apartment. I had gorgonzola penne, and Fumihiko had what I had last time we were there, the salmon with yuzu kosho. Both our meals were great. I was really glad that I went with the penne.

We hit the grocery store for a few of Fumihiko's necessities then came home. We watched Olympics for what seems like hours. I'm getting a bit tired of it. I'd probably enjoy it more if I understood what was going on. But, Japan shows the Olympics in a Japan only way. If Japan finished 5th, we hear more about that, than whomever finished in first place. During a relay race for example, the US Men's Team dropped the baton. Rather than showing a replay of what exactly happened, the Japanese station chose to focus their cameras on the Japanese runners drinking water and chatting with each other after the race.

When I was changing for bed, my foot slipped and I stubbed my big toe on the bed. No big deal I thought, but I noticed that I've cracked the nail quite far. Yikes. Heaven knows how long that's going to take to grow out. I'm wondering about the wisdom of bandaging it. If I do, I may run the risk of making myself allergic to Bandaids. Recently, my skin has been reacting to many things.

Anyhoo, I should be going. I'll catch you tomorrow. Night!

No comments: